Sunday, January 31, 2010

Watch the Birdie

The end of January already - where has the month gone?
This weekend is the weekend of the Big Garden Birdwatch - an annual event that has been going for the last 31 years. Last year was the first time I involved myself. The task is to spend one hour watching for bird visitors - they have to land in the garden and you enter the greatest number that you see on any one occasion during that hour. Having a bird friendly garden I was very disappointed to find that not a single bird landed in my garden during the hour.
This year I got up earlier and during the hour seven different types of birds visited. Now all I have to do is send in my results online. In March the results are presented, UK garden-bird trends having been analysed from the data. With half a million partipants it is advertised as the 'world's largest garden-bird survey'
PS - the snow has returned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you got so many types this year because they were attracted by the olives.