Thursday, January 21, 2010

Busy, busy

Life in retirement is both casual and busy - I can usually choose when I do the things I want to do and rearrange plans as apart from the OU there are very few deadlines that I have to meet. Frank understands if his tea is not ready when he gets home from work and since he finishes work at different times each day - no set pattern - it depends on what has happened during the working day - we often eat in the middle of the evening.
Well today I had an appointment at the local library and I had to get out of bed early to get ready just as if it was a working day. Becoming a volunteer at the local library necessitates a criminal record check because of coming into contact with children and vulnerable adults. I needed to take my passport and driving licence for personal identification, and a utility bill to verify my current address. Bank details are required in case I submit expenses. I also had to provide the names of two referees who have known me for at least two years and who are not related to me.
If I am given clearance then I will have to submit my car details - a current MOT Certificate to show that the vehicle reached government stipulated standards on the day of the test and a current insurance certificate showing that I have the cover needed, in case I am involved in an accident. I also have to inform my car insurance company that I will be using my car in my voluntary activities with the library.
Within the next to months I am expecting to be given clearance and then I shall be able to help deliver books to housebound adults - It will take about an hour of my time, once a month.

The library staff did say that it is difficult to get volunteers - I wonder why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, you're right. That's a lot of work. It's too bad they can't figure out a way to simplify that a bit. I hope it's all worth it and that you love the work!