Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How does your garden grow?

This afternoon the sun came out and the weather was milder than it has been for the last few weeks so I decided to tidy round the garden. Lots of jobs that should have been done in the late autumn were left as I was very busy making sure that I completed the work I had to do for the OU. Then when I had that work out of the way the weather turned bitterly cold and the garden was not at all appealing. So, I looked after the birds instead, making sure that bird feeders were topped up and water was checked each day.
Today, I've cut down dead foliage and raked leaves from off part of the borders. It is incredible that in spite of the very cold spell the leaf buds are swelling on the flowering currant and the honeysuckle. I just hope that the next cold spell, forecast to start this weekend, does not kill them off!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that just make you feel like spring is around the corner?u

Bernice said...

A Winter gardener! Wow. I do some planning but let the work go.