Friday, January 18, 2013

An advantage of retirement




One of the perks of not going out to work is that you have more time to do the things you like doing.  Working full-time and having work to bring home most evenings meant that the pleasure of losing myself in a book was mainly confined to holiday times. 

I enjoy reading a variety of genres and often my choice of reading is dictated by the books I find for sale in charity shops or those that friends share.  Once I find an author I particularly enjoy reading, I try to find other books by the same author. If the author has written a series based around a character, then there is the challenge of finding the other titles in the correct order.    

About nine months ago I joined the reading group at the local library. Meetings are held once a month and a group of about ten of us discuss the months chosen read.  It is lead by one of the librarians, who chooses a book for the group – or asks a group member to select the book.  The variety of books selected is wide and I am now reading books that I would not necessarily have picked – so far, most have been to my taste. 

The group is all female – perhaps it is like this for most reading groups.  The discussions around the books show a variety of views – justifying what you think about a character or scenario keeps the mind alive.  We exchange opinions, challenge views and laugh a lot – an hour soon goes.  Meeting new people is a bonus.

At the beginning of this week the group met and our new book is a historical novel, the first one since I joined the group.  It is set in Tudor England, ‘The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory’, and I don’t think it will last me until our next meeting.  To me, it is a page-turner!  The author knows how to keep her readers engaged with the long and complicated plot.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That book sounds like a great find! I hope she has other books written, so you can enjoy the reading a little longer.

Bernice said...

I like my book club for the vary reasons you mentioned. I read book I would not otherwise read and the discussions are great.