Monday, June 25, 2012

Garden performance

I'm just glad that F didn't have a camera to hand!
On Sunday afternoon there was a break in the dismal weather so I decided I would rake over the last part of the veg patch and sow the green manure seeds, Lupinus Angustifolius according to the back of the packet.  Because the ground was so wet I decided to wear my wellingtons.  I raked the ground smooth and marked out the rows, making a hole to plant each seed - very methodical.  All was going well and I had nearly finished the job when I went to the narrow path between the veg patch and the raised beds to reach the last few planting holes. I put one foot on some bricks at the edge of the patch and the bricks moved.  I overbalanced  and ended up sitting on the rhubarb - as my arms flew out to try and keep my balance I dismantled the edge of the netting frame that is around the strawberries to keep them safe from the birds and most spectacularly, the packet of seeds emptied itself, seeds flying off in all directions.
Frank was sitting at the other end of the garden and he came to the rescue - I wasn't hurt at all - but we ended up picking the rhubarb that had been broken by my fall and rearranging the netting frame and most time-consuming of all picking up as many of the seeds as we could find.
I am expecting green manure to spring up all over that part of the garden!

1 comment:

Bernice said...

Welcome back to blogland (is that a word?) Gardening does have its hazards. I seem to always have a bruise or two.