Friday, August 12, 2011

Befriending the enemy

Stargazer Lilies are one of my favourite garden flowers. They look spectacular with their vibrant pink and white blooms and their scent is heady, pervading the border where they are planted.

I once had a modest number of half a dozen plants but the display was still spectacular. (I used a photograph as wallpaper on the whiteboard in my classroom.)

Two years ago I spotted a beautiful bright red beetle on one of the leaves of the plant. I knew it was a lily beetle and though I knew it fed on the plant I thought I would share my garden with this creature – after all, the lilies were quite robust.

Last year the lilies were not quite up to their usual standard.

This year – oh dear!

I think I might have to resort to spray if I am to re-establish stargazer lilies in the borders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And they are one of my favorite flowers because I carried them in my wedding (the first one :)

I hope you can drive the beetles to other food sources besides your lilies!