Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why I am reluctant to gamble on horses.

Yesterday I bought a satnav and was very pleased with the purchase. I did a test run to a garden centre about thirty miles away and found the instructions clear - the female voice giving the instructions was calm and did not have hysterics if I strayed from the route.
Then last night, when I was checking the news on the internet, I came across an item about solar eruptions which filled me with dismay.
To quote........ 'The solar eruptions ..first detected ... at the weekend. Billions of tonnes of gas were ejected into space ..........If the giant ball of gas collides with the Earth's magnetic field, as scientists are predicting, an intense geomagnetic storm will be produced ......... interfere with satellites ........'

I'd better keep the atlas in the car just in case!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that's bad timing. But it sounds, overall, like a very useful purchase.

Jenny said...

Now Gill, you know better than that after a week with the OU physics geeks!

Anonymous said...

The real test will be seeing if it works on small country roads in the middle of Wales.

Bernice said...

It took me a bit to figure out what a satnav was. Guess is is what we call GPS. Now you can travel anywhere without fear of not finding your way home. (Between you and me, that may be what us "older" people need) :)