Thursday, September 17, 2009

Technology

I have decided since I am now at home all day and Frank works full time that I could take on the job of keeeping the grass cut. I don't like the electric mowers we have so Frank found out our very first mower - a Qualcast Panther Cylinder mower - and we've worked out that it is 35 years old. It's been buried in the depths of the garage and not used for many a year. After knocking off the cobwebs, to Frank's surprise and delight he found that it cuts better than the newer, and much more expensive electric mowers. He demonstrated how one uses a push mower and then I had a go at cutting the grass. His efforts looked a lot better than mine but he put that down to experience.


I think that my cutting skills will improve with practice. In the meantime I went inside and cooked the tea while Frank finished cutting the front 'lawn' and started on the back 'lawn'.

At sunset he couldn't see well enough to complete the job but the grass will wait for him till another day. This is the skyscape from the end of the road!

P.S. Leaf mould is very good for improving the texture of soil and this bag of leaf mould was spread at the base of one of the apple trees. It takes one to two years for leaves to break down into this rich looking mixture. This amount started as one bin bag full of autumn leaves and by the time it is ready to use it has reduced to about half a bucket. In another few decades I will have made enough leaf mould to put one layer over the borders, then I can start again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it amusing that you decided that you should start doing the mowing from now on, but the pictures are all of Frank mowing. That was artfully arranged, Gill.