Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A good time was 'ad by all

It's been a very busy week. In an effort to avoid mental deterioration I am indulging in some academic work.

I've attended the first session of an evening class at Walton High School. The course is called Science and Society - Looking at Contemporary Issues. It covers issues such as stem cell research, evolution, climate change etc. The same course is taken by the sixth formers and course tutor is Mr Hancock. He taught Physics to Andrew when he attended WHS.

The next day I went out with a group of my former colleagues. We went to the Symphony Hall in Birmingham to listen to Soweto Gospel choir. They enthralled the audience with their wonderful singing and their vibrant costumes. If you get the opportunity to go to one of their concerts it's worth the effort and expense ( personal opinion of course!)

At the weekend I went to an induction day for Open University students. This year I'll be tackling the beginner's course for Science. We were given lots of advice about distance learning and I managed to meet up with some of the people who have already completed this course and are ready to start on the first level Science course. OU students have left school some time ago and are now choosing to study for a degree in their spare time, so I wasn't surrounded by very youthful undergraduates. There will be more news about the joys of being an OU student as I get further into the course. I wasn't surprised to see that the arts and languages group and the management group had a lot more students attending their induction days. I think one complaint of the UK government is that not enough people want to study the Sciences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you taking an Open University course and an evening course? You are so ambitious. Good luck, and I'm loving all the blog posts.