Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A little light entertainment

Our church has a newly formed committee to organise social events.  They have certainly started well.

On Saturday evening F and I went along to a film evening.  For two pounds per ticket (a little less than 3 US dollars) we were given a bag of popcorn or sweets at the beginning of the film, and during the interval we had tea or coffee if we wanted, and we could buy a tub of ice cream.  Then there was the choice of film - The General starring Buster Keaton, originally screened in 1926.

Watching a silent film was a new experience for me.  A new musical score had been added to the film, so we didn't need a musician to accompany the action.  The action was non stop and stunts very cleverly executed.  I don't know the budget for this particular film, and without the sort of special effects that today's filmmakers use , the cost would have been negligible by comparison. To me, the entertainment value was priceless.

Since then, I have checked YouTube and found lots more films and excerpts, starring BK.  If you want to relax with a different sort of film, I can recommend this particular film star and there are lots of other such films to choose from on YouTube


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I've never watched a silent movie, but that sounds like an interesting experience. A far cry from the Hollywood blockbusters of today, I'd guess...

Bernice said...

We have been going to a local collage where foreign movies or movies that are not in the regular theaters are shown. It is a great experience to see something different. Gerry and I now have Netflix, thanks to Shawn, We will check if they have silent movies available.