Thursday, September 8, 2011

Exercise is good for you.

I have decided to try out zamba – some colleagues from my former place of employment have taken up this form of exercise and they enjoy themselves trying to coordinate arm and leg movements in time to the music. The only trouble with joining my friends is that it means a ten mile journey there and the same journey back which takes time and costs petrol.

I found out that a zamba class takes place in a nearby school (about 250yards from my front door) so I went to my first session tonight. The instructor welcomed me and found me some water to drink during the session. Next time I go to zamba I shall take some water and a towel – both useful for coping with the pace she sets.

I have discovered that if I concentrate really hard I can cope with the footwork, or with the arm movements, but not both at the same time. With practise I may well get them to co-ordinate! The gyrations – well everybody else is having to concentrate on their own efforts and will be much too busy to notice that I sometimes do and sometimes don’t!

At the end of the session the instructor said we should burn off 600 calories if we joined in for the whole session. That seems a lot – I’ll be content to feel fitter and if I lose weight – that’s a bonus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good for you! I think the need t concentrate is what I like about dancing. If you have to focus on coordinating your arms or legs or both, then you don't notice as much how tired you are.

Bernice said...

Zamba is very popular in our area too. I have not gone, for one reason, it is so far to drive to classes.