Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The east wind doth blow, And we shall have snow!

The weather forecasters have got it right. The snow and bitterly cold winds have brought the UK, or at least parts of it, to a grinding halt. Those who can, have made snowmen and enjoyed other snowy pastimes. Being forced to stay at home because my school has been closed for a couple of days I have been able to get through some of the backlog of paperwork that accompanies the job nowadays.

I did leave my desk to take a few photos of the snow.

I know it doesn't look anything like the amounts of snow that have covered other parts of the country, but it looks so pretty when it's dusting the trees in the garden.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pretty. Are the birds finding enough to eat in this wintery weather?

Gill - UK said...

RM - the birds are well fed - they get peanuts, commercially made bird pudding (2 blocks - a Christmas present from Beth), home made bird pudding fortified with animal fats from roasting meats and bird oil - i.e.olive oil that has been used and recycled for the purpose of winter bird feeding. Then there are always plenty of cooking apples from the last crop. They also have a supply of water for bathing and drinking. Even in yesterday's bitterly cold weather a blackbird took a bath. I get a close-up view from the kitchen window while I do the washing up.

Bernice said...

Wow, SRM makes her own cat food and you make bird food. The birds here say they are lucky to just have seeds in the feeders. Is your water heated?

Gill - UK said...

The water is straight from the cold tap. I was told - I can't remember who told me - that if you put warm water it freezes over more quickly. It doesn't seem logical to me but perhaps a physicist would be able to offer an explanation. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference.